The Advanced Measurements Laboratory houses major flow facilities for experimental measurements. The laboratory supports independent student projects as well as scheduled laboratories in College of Engineering courses. Facilities include:
- A recirculating wind tunnel, with a three-axis force balance (lift, drag, pitching moment) for aerodynamic studies
- A 10 m towing tank with a wavemaker and flow capabilities. The facility also functions as a tilting open-channel flume
- A visualization water channel, with high test-section visibility for optical flow visualizations and measurements
The laboratory is also equipped with advanced flow diagnostic instrumentation, including:
- A 3D, time-resolved particle tracking velocimetry system for resolving flow motions within a volume
- A two-component laser Doppler anemometer for accurate velocity measurements at a point
- A two-channel thermal anemometer for measuring high-frequency velocity fluctuations in turbulent and other unsteady flows.